That's that survival apparatus - The Mask



The Mask-




14:57
We need the courage to create ourselves daily, to be bodacious enough to create ourselves
15:06
daily-- as Christians, as Jews, as Muslims, as thinking, caring, laughing, loving human
15:16
beings. I think that the courage to confront evil and turn it by dint of will into something
15:30
applicable to the development of our evolution, individually and collectively, is exciting,
15:42
honorable.
15:45
I have written a poem for a woman who rides a bus in New York City. She's a maid. She
15:52
has two shopping bags. When the bus stops abruptly, she laughs; if the bus stops slowly,
15:58
she laughs; if the bus picks up someone, she laughs; if the bus misses someone, she- ha,
16:03
ha, ha. So I watched her for about nine months. I thought, mmm, uh-huh. Now, if you don't
16:11
know black features you may think she's laughing, but she wasn't laughing. She was simply extending
16:17
her lips and making a sound -ha, ha, ha, ha. I said, oh, I see. That's that survival apparatus.
16:25
Now, let me write about that, to honor this woman, who helps us to survive. By her very
16:32
survival. "Miss Rosie." "Through your destruction I stand up." So I used the poem with Mr. Paul
16:40
Laurence Dunbar's poem, "Mask[s]," and my own poem, "For Old Black Men." Mr. Dunbar
16:47
wrote "Mask[s]" in 1892.
16:53
We wear the mask that grins and lies, It shades our cheeks and hides our eyes,—
17:04
This debt we pay to human guile; With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
17:12
And mouth with myriad subtleties.
17:16
Why should the world be over-wise, In counting all our tears and sighs?
17:20
Nay, let them only see us, while We wear the mask.
17:24
We smile, but oh my [God, Our tears] to thee from tortured souls arise.
17:33
[And we sing, "Hey, baby-bye,"] We sing, but oh, the clay is vile
17:41
Beneath our feet, and long the mile; But let the world think otherwise,
17:48
We wear the mask!
17:51
When I think about myself, I almost laugh myself to death,
17:56
My life has been one great big joke, A dance that's walked
18:02
A song was spoke, I laugh so hard I almost choke
18:08
When I think about myself.
18:11
Seventy years in these folks’ world The child I works for calls me girl
18:17
I say “HA! HA! HA! Yes ma’am!” For workin’s sake
18:25
I’m too proud to bend and Too poor to break
18:28
So…I laugh! Until my stomach ache When I think about myself.
18:38
My folks can make me split my side I laugh so hard, HA! HA! I nearly died
18:47
The tales they tell sound just like lying They grow the fruit but eat the rind.
18:53
Hmm huh! I laugh uhuh huh huh… Until I start to cry when I think about myself
19:04
And my folks and the little children.
19:08
My fathers sit on benches, their flesh count every plank,
19:14
the slats leave dents of darkness deep in their withered flank.
19:17
And they nod like broken candles, all waxed and burnt profound.
19:24
they say, "But sugar, it was our submission that made your world go round."
19:29
There in those pleated faces I see the auction block
19:34
the chains and slavery’s coffles the whip and lash and stock.
19:39
My fathers speak in voices that shred my fact and sound
19:44
they say, "But sugar, it was our submission that made your world go round."
19:51
They laugh to shield their crying, they shuffled through their dreams
19:56
they stepped ’n fetched a country and wrote the blues in screams.
20:01
I understand their meaning, it could and did derive
20:05
from living on the ledge of death They kept my race alive.
20:12
By wearing the mask! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Credit : You Tube video  
Moyers & Company
Watch more videos & subscribe  here!  https://www.youtube.com/user/MoyersandCompany

Comments

Popular Posts